Sunday, April 29, 2012

Day 27: Durham

Cold and rainy today.  Church in the morning, home the rest of the day.

No photos for today, so I thought I'd share the books I am reading while we are here.

The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency series by Alexander McCall Smith (a Scot).  I haven't read these yet -- in my life at home I guess I just don't have time (or make time?) for this kind of reading, so it's fun to do that here.  I'm half-way through the second book.  I understand there is a BBC TV series made here, will need to look into that.

Mary Queen of Scots by Alison Weir.  I've read a few of her other English royalty titles and since we are going to Scotland and visiting Edinburgh I thought I'd read up on an important chapter in Scottish history.  It's tough to keep everyone straight but it's interesting reading.

Nicholas Nickleby  and Great Expectations by Charles Dickens.  I'm about 1/5 into the first.  We'll see how far I get with these two!

Image for Series 1
We are also re-watching the BBC Cranford series right now.  So good.  And living in England makes these stories more meaningful.

Plus it is fun to see this again after recently seeing Imelda Staunton be so amazing in Sweeney Todd.